Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Pantry Meal

I am seeing a bit of light on the other side of my pantry!

Tonight, using meat from a pork shoulder (picnic ham) (from the freezer) that I cook all day in a slow cooker, I made soft tacos of sorts. I basically used the meat (shredded) and stir fried it with garlic, onion, tomatillos, and spices in a cast iron pan. I mixed this with the rest of the leftover red beans and rice. I then heated a few flour torillas from the freezer and slightly rolled the meat mixture up in them. The boys loved them! L2 even ate two of them and asked for a third (although he forgot about wanting the 3rd one a few minutes later).

Using the picnic ham in this way worked out great. I have four three of these from the hogs we raised a year ago. I had no idea how to cook them and kept ignoring them whenever I dug around in the garage deep freezers. Yesterday, I was searching for a chicken or a pork roast and kept moving the picnic hams around out of the way. After searching for a while I grabbed what I thought was a pork roast. After going back into the house, I saw I had accidently grabbed on of the PHs. I almost took it back outside, but decided I was meant to use one of them up. It is actually similar to a pork roast and provided the perfect meat ingredient I needed to use up the tomatillos I bought at the ethnic market on Jan 2.

All in all, a good meal made strictly from the pantry!

(Of course, a while later I was taking the rest of the meat out of the Crockpot and it slipped out of my hand. I spent the rest of the evening cleaning up grease off of the floor and cabinets...thankfully I have a couple of dogs and cats to employ for the clean-up duty! They thought it was a good too!! ;)

No comments: